How do I dispute my Real Estate taxes if I think the property value is too high?

The appeal process for disputing your property tax bill is via the Abatement Procedure. The application is available at the Assessor's Office in Town Hall and must be filed within 30 days from the mailing of the third quarter tax bill. No abatement can be granted unless the application is filed on time.

Filing an appeal does not put your tax payment on hold. Tax payments need to be rendered in a timely manner in order to protect further appeal rights to the State.

If you think your assessed value is wrong you must provide your opinion of value on the abatement application. You may attach an appraisal to the application to support your opinion of value, but you must realize it is another appraiser's assumption and may have been influenced by the purpose of the appraisal.

The Board of Assessors has 90 days from the date the application was received to act on the appeal. Each and every appeal will receive written notification of the Assessor's action.

Any amendment to taxes paid is adjusted on the third and fourth-quarter tax bills. If there has been an overpayment, a refund is generated at the close of the fiscal year (June 30).

If you are dissatisfied with the decision of the Board of Assessors, you may file an appeal to the Appellate Tax Board, but this must be done within 3 months of the Assessor's decision.

For further information contact the Assessor's Office at 781-341-1300, ext. 9238.

Show All Answers

1. What are Real Estate taxes?
2. How are my Real Estate taxes calculated?
3. How do I pay a Real Estate bill?
4. How do I dispute my Real Estate taxes if I think the property value is too high?
5. What is Proposition 2 ½?